PDA

View Full Version : Best Computer Setup to Run these Awesome Software Tools ?

Diesel1220
11-13-2017, 06:44 AM
Hi Peter / Group,

I've purchase many of the software offerings over the years - the tools are very impressive!

One thing that keeps confounding me is "setup" ... ideally I'd like to install all these various software on a PC or VPS that is dedicated to running the tools. I noticed with the recent offer for HOM Infinity that you provided a "note for VPS users" and provided specs and sequence for system setup. You also described in a separate post how you run multiple low cost PC's and manage with TeamViewer.

I've purchase HOM Infinity today, and am about to roll up my sleeves and try once more to get all your tools running in one place - having a recommendation for PC's to purchase + configuration that you've had no problems with for all of your tools, or for a VPS provider that you recommend, or for recommendation of a member of the group who has everything running smoothly that I can reach out to would be a HUGE time saver and motivator.... and spare a bunch of support tickets...

I'm a believer and continuously acquire these tools, but fooling with vendors / hardware / versions of operating systems / windows10 etc takes all the fun out of getting great results ....

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roger

PeterDrew
11-13-2017, 10:56 AM
There are many different options..

I'll go from best to least effective.

1. Second PC or Laptop.
We have many additional PC's and laptops here to run/test our software on
One of my favourites to use is an older laptop that's 6 years old and only 2 gigs of ram and most likely an I3 Cpu etc.
It has windows 10 on it.
It runs all our software perfectly, though with a slow CPU takes time to render videos with HOM etc.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sQUAAOSwDmBY4q9C/s-l500.jpg

Intel Compute Stick Quad Core Mini PC Atom X5-Z8300 2GB Windows 10 HDMI
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Compute-Stick-Quad-Core-Mini-PC-Atom-X5-Z8300-2GB-Windows-10-HDMI-WIFI-BT/282420165907?epid=2177178713&hash=item41c18dbd13:g:sQUAAOSwDmBY4q9C

This is just an example.. you can get these on amazon for between 100 and 150 bucks.

these are awesome.. extremely cheap and reliable.

You need to buy a cheap bluetooth keyboard to set them up
Get one that comes with Win10 on it.

To setup.. Just plug into any monitor and use your bluetooth keyboard/mouse
set it up. Install teamviewer on it. Connect it to Wifi and your good to go..

Once setup, you can remove it from the monitor and operate it from your main computer be it PC or Mac and run it all via teamviewer.
We test all our software on these as well.

3. VPS.
I'm not a fan of VPS's
In theory they are good.. But and it's a big butt.

This is how they work. A hosting company want's to make some money, so they create virtual machines on a server.
1. Not all servers are the same, some are powerful as possible, other main servers are slower.
2. You can create basically unlimited virtual machines on a server.
3. Typically they work on the fact that not all virtual machines will be using max cpu/memory at the same time, so they go wide on virtual machines per server.
4. Tons of VPS sellers charge really cheap prices but don't tell the punters how many of them they have on a single server.
5. Customers purchase these cheap under resourced VPS and expect for complicated softwares to work.
6. Server admins to be able to run as many virtual machines often leave out bits that are required to run our software smoothly etc.

Then we get tickets complaining our software isn't working, and I find out they are paying a stupidly low amount per month for a VPS, that is designed for browsing purposes only.

You can get a cheap PC on Ebay for a couple of hundred bucks that will be sufficient to run all of our softwares together at once etc. So that's what I recommend :)

cheers
Pete

googlealchemist
12-21-2017, 02:31 AM
I can't help but ask..."One of my favourites to use is an older laptop that's 6 years old and only 2 gigs of ram and most likely an I3 Cpu etc.
It has windows 10 on it.
It runs all our software perfectly, though with a slow CPU takes time to render videos with HOM etc."

Why not upgrade to more ram to speed things up?